Saturday, January 5, 2008

Justice League of America #58 - Dec. 1967

sgBeautiful cover by Carmine Infantino and Sid Greene, featuring a fairly pissed-off looking JLA. Doesn't DC pay the JLA reprint fees?

The stories: "World of No Return!" (JLA #1), "Wheel of Misfortune!"(JLA #6), and "For Sale--The Justice League!"(JLA #8) by Gardner Fox, Mike Sekowsky, and Bernard Sachs.

Roll Call
: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow

Notable Moments:
These 80-Page Giants are so much darn fun, not to mention a real value, then and now. For a 1967 quarter you got three whole comics, and even nowadays I find these issues (relatively) cheap to get because they're all-reprint. If I ever want to re-read JLA #1, I read it here instead of risking my already-fragile original copy.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is the first time the JLA is referred to as "The World's Greatest Superheroes", a moniker that would eventually adorn the book on a regular basis.

Update: I am incorrect directly above. Actually, the phrase is first used on the cover to #39, the first 80 Page Giant issue of JLA!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you mean this is the first time they're referred to as TWGSH on the cover of their own magazine, I guess you're right. If you mean in general, they were referred by that term in the house ad for JLA 57...which you just featured a few days ago!!!

Damian said...

This is true.

Dandy Forsdyke said...

The JLA looked pissed possibly because the artists (although I blame Sid Greene here) have rendered them with such stumpy little legs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...